Monday, January 5, 2015

Kantor Pos (Post Office)

Yesterday, I walked one mile to the nearest post office, hoping to mail postcards to friends and family back home.

Upon arrival, I am informed that, because they are a new post office, they are not equipped to mail things.

Curious, then, as to what their daily life consists of, I watch other customers come in and out. Admittedly, none try to mail anything, and none walk out with anything new.

My interest is piqued. If a post office cannot receive mail, cannot mail mail, and does not sell stamps, and has no camera for passport photos, what exactly is its function?

I go to school the next day and address my counterpart, Pak Ali. Using the same voice Arthur Weasley might use to ask the function of a rubber duck, I asked, "What exactly is the function of a post office?"

He looks at me. "Well, YOU keep trying to send mail, but no one else does that. For you, it is where you try to send mail."

"Pak Ali, what do YOU do at the post office?"

"I buy pulsa*."

This solves nothing. Pulsa is easy to buy at every convenient store in town, and convenient stores are on every street.

The mystery continues.

*Pulsa is monetary credit for services such as internet, phone, and electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment